FAQ and prices
Where does HypnoBirthing® come from?
Hypnobirthing® is based on the teachings of British doctor, Grantly Dick-Read, a pioneer in natural childbirth and founder of the NCT. HypnoBirthing® was originally established in the United States by Marie Mongan. She used his book when birthing her own children and has developed his ideas with deep relaxation techniques. Her book "HypnoBirthing® - A Celebration of Life" was first published in 1989 and you can read lots more at the main UK site if you want to follow my links.
What is HypnoBirthing®?
HypnoBirthing® Childbirth method is as much a philosophy of birth as it is a technique for achieving a satisfying, relaxing, and stress-free method of birthing. HypnoBirthing® teaches you, along with your birthing companion, the art and joy of experiencing birth in a more comfortable manner.
You will learn to call upon your body’s own natural relaxant and thus lessen or eliminate discomfort and the need for medication. When a woman is properly prepared for childbirth and when mind and body are in harmony, nature is free to function in the same will-designed manner that it does with all other creatures.
You will be fascinated as you view HypnoBirthing® films showing labouring mothers, awake, alert and in good humour as they experience the kind of gentle birth that you, too, can know when you are free of the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome.
HypnoBirthing® teaches you to release all prior programming about birth, how to trust your body and work with it, as well as how to free yourself of harmful emotions that lead to pain-causing fear and unyielding muscles.
HypnoBirthing® will teach you the art of using your own natural birthing instincts. With HypnoBirthing®, you will be aware and fully in control, but profoundly relaxed.
“I love the philosophy; Thanks to HypnoBirthing® and the support I received, my baby’s birth was wonderful. I was confident and free of fear.”
The HypnoBirthing® Premise
For most of their lives, women have been inundated with the negative stories of other
women’s birth experiences. Everyone, from their mothers, sisters, aunts, cousins, friends, and even strangers, wants to tell them the horrors of giving birth. They have been conditioned to believe that excruciating pain is associated with birth; and because of this, women today hold an unprecedented fear of giving birth. This extreme fear causes their bodies to become tense, and that tension often prevents them from easily performing the normal, physiological function of birth. The result?—Exactly what they feared most: long, painful, disappointing birthing.
People who are drawn to HypnoBirthing® have long been searching for a way that
helps women give birth as calmly, safely, and gently as possible. Until HypnoBirthing®
was founded, it seemed almost unattainable.
Through a very simple program of relaxation, self-hypnosis and a thorough education programme, women learn to release emotions tied to fear-based stories and misinformation, and they are helped to see birth as normal. They learn to trust that their bodies know how to bring their babies into the world in the calm and gentle way that nature intended.
· Teaches deep levels of relaxation to eliminate the fear that causes tension and, thus, pain
· Greatly reduces and often eliminates the need for chemical painkillers and drugs
· Shortens the first phase of labour
· Helps keep oxygen supplied to baby during birthing
· Reduces the need for an episiotomy
· Reduces and often eliminates fatigue during labour
· Empowers parents with techniques to achieve a gentle, calm birth for themselves and their baby
· Gives the birthing companion an integral role in the birthing
· Embraces the concept of pre-birth Parenting
· Teaches breathing techniques that allow a woman to gently breathe her baby into the world without the violence of hard, physical pushing.
· Leaves mother alert, fresh, awake and with energy throughout labour and after birth
The result? A calm, relaxed, comfortable and beautiful birth experience.
Welcome to HypnoBirthing® for Lancashire and Cumbria
and the surrounding areas. If you desire a calm, relaxed and beautiful birth, like nature intended, then you have reached the right place.
My name is Jean Anderson and I am an official, affiliated member of the HypnoBirthing® institute for your area. As a retired midwife, who worked within the NHS for 30 years , I have vast experience of hospital births, home births and childbirth education. I founded my own charity called ‘Mum’s Aid’ in order to create the first birthing room within Lancaster, Lancashire . I have always been an advocate of good childbirth education and empowering and enabling women to be an active part in their birthing experience.
I work with my colleague, Katy Redford, a HypnoBirthing® mum and a teacher of 11 years so I can assure you that you will receive excellent, quality HypnoBirthing® child-birth education classes.
Together, we offer an excellent package throughout your pregnancy and beyond. You will receive:
· 5 two-and-a-half-hour childbirth education classes
· The official HypnoBirthing® manual/book
· HypnoBirthing® CD with Rainbow Relaxation and Daily Birthing Affirmations
· A HypnoBirthing® Course Learning Pack, carefully organized lesson-by-lesson to make the course clear and easy to follow. Within the pack you will receive all course handouts including, relaxation scripts to practice, posters for visualizations, colourful birth companion prompt sheets, worksheets, birth plan support pack and guidance, breathing guidance sheets and much, much more.
· We offer 24-hour advice and support
· We offer optional support through labour as labour companions if it is what you desire and where possible.
· We also offer post-natal and breast-feeding support and baby massage.
We see HypnoBirthing® as more than just classes but a whole network of support for you and your family throughout this special time.
To ask about being on the next available class or for an enrolment form, please e-mail me at:
If you want to speak to us first, then just give us a call on 0791 3389009. We’re happy to answer any questions you might have. We wish you all the best with your birth and look forward to seeing you in class.